How Does Premium Assurance Differ from Custom Support Agreements?
We detailed the new Premium Assurance in a previous blog post. At a high level it looks similar to an existing Microsoft service called Custom Support Agreements.
They are very different beasts though. Custom Support Agreements are where organisations cannot move off an older software version and take out a support contract with Microsoft. They are typically expensive, not off-the-shelf and thus taken by larger organisations with complex needs. They cover different products, are sold and supported by different Microsoft teams, have different objectives, business rules and pricing.
Premium Assurance is a standard add-on to Software Assurance and is listed in the price list. It’s easy for customers to purchase, for partners to sell and for everyone to understand.
Will Premium Assurance spell the end of Custom Support Agreements? Microsoft hasn’t elaborated at this stage but so far it looks like all existing CSA products in the market today will continue unchanged.
- Software Assurance Add-on (requires SA)
- Only for Windows Server and SQL Server starting with 2008 versions
- All eligible servers must be included
- Up to 6 extra years of support
- Includes ‘critical’ and ‘important’ security updates
- Available through certain volume licensing programs
- Published prices
- Sold via Worldwide Licensing with commissions paid to sellers
- Discounts and price-protection for signing up early
Custom Support Agreements
- Premier Support Add-on (requires Premier)
- Software Assurance not required
- Covers multiple products including Windows and Office but does not cover Windows Server or SQL Server
- Typically last 1-3 years, not 6
- Customer can cover just a subset of affected licences and pricing is tiered according to numbers
- Only includes ‘critical’ updates but ‘important’ can be included sometimes for a fee
- Bought when a product goes end-of-support; no discounts for buying early
- Sold through Microsoft Premier and Services staff
- Faster support through Premier-level support services and Technical Account Managers